Assault Defense Lawyer in Nashua, NH
Allegations of assault can affect so many areas of your life. While these allegations can cause strife in your personal relationships, it is of the utmost importance to ensure that you are as protected as possible from the intense legal ramifications that can result from a conviction.
While a conviction may not always be avoidable, working with an experienced assault lawyer is the best way to make efforts to that end. An assault law firm can work with you directly to provide services as an intermediary between yourself and law enforcement; work with you to form a defense when necessary; and negotiate deals with prosecution on your behalf.
Simple Assault and Battery in Nashua, NH
When Assault and Battery was first used to describe criminal offenses, Assault referred specifically to the threat of physical harm, while Battery referred to the act of physically harming a person.
In the state of New Hampshire today, both of these terms are referred to under the umbrella of Assault. While Assault consists of a violent attack, a person may be charged with Simple Assault (the lowest charge) for hitting or slapping a person in the course of a disagreement.
Assault charges can be made any time a person makes physical contact with another that is underprivileged (unwanted or without consent). These charges vary in severity according to the amount of harm caused, the intent to perform violence, or the level of egregious recklessness.
What Are The Different Assault Charges In Nashua, NH?
- Simple Assault – Typically charged as a misdemeanor, though it can be charged as a violation, depending on the circumstances. When seeking to convict on a Simple Assault charge, the State does not need to show that any injury occured, only that there was unconsensual contact.
- As a misdemeanor, Simple Assault may be punishable by up to one year in jail and a fine of $2,000.
- Second Degree Assault – Second Degree Assault is charged as a felony. It occurs when a person intentionally or recklessly causes serious injury to another person. There may be aggravating factors to these charges.
- Second Degree Assault is punishable by up to seven years in prison and a fine of $4,000.
- First Degree Assault – First Degree Assault is charged as a felony. It occurs when intentional or reckless action causes serious injury. It may also be charged when minors are injured, or when the injury occurs in the presence of a dangerous weapon.
- First Degree Assault is punishable by up to 15 years in prison and a fine of $4,000.
- Domestic Violence – Domestic Violence is a form of assault that occurs specifically with individuals that the alleged aggressor has a domestic relationship with. This can include roommates, family members, and romantic partners. Domestic Violence assault may be charged for any form of assault to a domestic partner and varies greatly in its context and scope.
- Because Domestic Violence charges are specific and complicated unto themselves, it is difficult to provide a scope of the penalties associated with these convictions. If you are dealing with a DV matter, contacting a domestic assault lawyer at your soonest convenience is the best next step.
Do Assault Victims Need A Lawyer In Nashua, NH?
Victims do not typically require a lawyer, as the state will prosecute the case. This results in the victim of the crime being a “witness”, not a “plaintiff”. However, some victims may require the assistance of an attorney.
An assault victim lawyer can help you if you are unhappy with the way that the prosecution is handling your case, or if you have any legal needs or concerns throughout the process of a criminal investigation or trial.
Bartis Law Office, PLLC
Bartis Law Office, PLLC has been proud to provide legal services to the greater Nashua, NH area for over 20 years. Our firm is committed to ensuring that our clients can find fair and just treatment under the law, and are pleased to have a reputation that reflects these efforts.
If you are seeking the help of a trusted assault law firm, please don’t hesitate to contact our office in Nashua, NH for a complimentary consultation today.
Contact For A Personalized Case Evaluation